Permanent role offering job stability & job security. We are offering sign on bonuses to those who join us between 3rd April to 31st August 2023!
Due to the nature of this role is essential for you to hold a full UK driver’s license.
– B1, C1 & D1 license holders will receive the following allowances per annum: B1= £600 / C1 = £2400 / D1 = £2700
– B1 license holders will receive a £1,000 sign on bonus (6 months after graduation and successful vetting clearance).
– C1 license holders will receive a £2,000 sign on bonus (6 months after graduation and successful vetting clearance).
Could you take someone from confusion to clarity? Could you take them from confrontational to calm? Could you take somebody from secluded to supported? If so, then a Youth & Adult Escort Custody Driver position could be the role for you!
As a Youth & Adult Escort Custody Driver (Dual Badge) at one of our Vehicle Bases your role is to provide court transportation services, collecting detained Adults, Children and Young People from prisons or police stations and transporting them safely and securely to courts. Once there you’ll ensure these Adults, Children and Young People in our care feel safe and secure from the point that the escort commences to the point the escort concludes. Duties include, accompanying defendants in court; searching property or people; ensuring food and drink is available and completing paperwork and data entry for the day.
Our core hours are 40 hours per week. Daytime shifts Monday
– Saturday (rota basis 1 in 3 Saturdays). You must be flexible, as due to the nature of the role, finish times are unpredictable.
What you need to do the job
The great thing is, there is no previous experience required! What is key is that you are patient and understanding. Our roles would suit those who have an interest in criminology or psychology and working with children’s & young people.
If you are successful through our eligibility & assessment process, we will invite you to attend a 5-week training course that’ll provide you with the skills you need to be a Prisoner Custody Officer.
You must have excellent written and verbal communications skills and be able to use those skills to manage and control all situations, ensuring your detainee remains calm and cared for.
Due to the nature of this role is essential for you to hold a full UK driver’s license. C1 & D1 license allowances: C1 = £2400 per annum / D1 = £2700 per annum
Still not sure this is the right role for you? Try our careers assistant to find out more: Careers Assistant
Our Assessment Process:
Briefing call to assess eligibility -> Competency based Virtual Interview -> short role-play and written exercise.
– Meaningful and vital work: Detainees in the right frame of mind ensure courts run on time in a secure way. And we do it right, with over 15,000 prisoner movements a month we only have to use force 0.24% of the time
– A world of opportunity: Serco’s contract covers 104 courts and 16 vehicle bases. Prisoner Custody Officers can progress into Court Custody Management and Base Ops Management roles
– Great people: You’ll find yourself working with a variety of highly supportive and experienced people
What we offer?
– Dual Badge Officers at a Vehicle Base can earn between £24,412 & £29,012 dependent upon the driving license and overtime (based upon salary of £23,812 plus a driving allowance and avg 4hrs pwovertime); upon completion of training;
– Plus a £900 bonus, *bonus fee paid after 1 year in service and every year thereafter*
– Plus pension (matched up to 6%), life insurance; 20 days annual leave rising to 25 after 7 years’ service plus Bank Holidays; *bonus fee paid after 1 year in service and every year thereafter*
– Continuous training & development opportunities
– A range of benefits to support the health and wellbeing of you and your family such as Employee Assistance Programme, Thrive App, Simply Health Plans, Cycle to Work Scheme Annual Leave Purchase Scheme and more
– Access to a huge range of discounts and exclusive deals such as Merlin Attractions, Mobile Phone discounts, Cinema discounts, Leisure and Hospitality discounts
– A fantastic culture and supportive team where you’ll get the chance to make a positive difference in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion
This role is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and all offers of employment are subject to security clearance checks and approval by the Home Office, and satisfactory employment references.
About SercoAt Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
ApplyPlease click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. We operate a hybrid work structure in many of our business areas. We are proudly Disability Confident Leader employers and holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview. For help with your application please contact 0345 010 4000.
At Serco we support fair access to employment for those with unspent criminal convictions through the ‘Ban the Box’ pledge (some may be exempt due to the nature of the role and the security clearance required). Please contact our recruitment team directly on 0345 010 4000 to discuss.