The SVI role involves a wide range of work including, but not limited to, the following:
• Responding to incidents and outbreaks of animal notifiable diseases
• Investigating animal diseases in farm livestock by;
– undertaking on-farm and field investigations
– examining and inspecting farmed animals to support differential diagnosis of disease
– conducting post mortem examinations when appropriate
– collecting and submitting appropriate samples for laboratory testing
– collecting and interpreting relevant data to support decisions
– reporting findings and recommendations
• Welfare Investigations, both reactive and surveillance work. Including the welfare of farm animals during transport, at time of killing and when on agricultural holdings
• Inspection, Approval and Audit of premises at a range of settings, from zoos to pet food processing plants, and many other locations
• Ensuring compliance, with statutory standards, of animal health and welfare
• Building collaborative relationships with a range of valuable partners, including local authorities, industry representatives and non-APHA veterinary surgeons
• A reasonable amount of duty and out-of-hours rotas
Vacancies are currently available in Bridgewater, Caernarfon, Canterbury, Cardiff, Carmarthen, Crewe, Exeter, Hamilton, Horley, Inverness, Inverurie, Launceston, Leicester, Lincoln, Llandrindod Wells, Manchester, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Preston, Shrewsbury, Stafford, Truro, Warwick, Weymouth and Worcester. We encourage you to apply as vacancies will be filled using the reserve list from this campaign. All posts will be offered in merit order based on location and business need. There is a facility to select National if you are content to be based at any location throughout the UK.
You will be nominally aligned within a delivery area, which will have a designated APHA office. As part of the role, you will be expected to regularly travel and carry out the duties outlined above. During certain circumstances (e.g. National disease outbreaks) staff will be expected to work on detached duty at other locations, these requests will depend on business need. The post holder will occasionally be required to work from other locations in the delivery area.
Currently APHA have adopted a blended approach to working, allowing for a mix of some home working and office attendance.