Learning Support Assistant Barnstaple
If you are sincere about a career within Criminal, Youth Justice or Social Work for eg, the SEN Learning Assistant role will give you outstanding experience in very challenging, social environments for young children and vulnerable adults who have been through significant traumas and who have associated complex social needs.
Can you demonstrate the value of an education to your students while building substantial relationships and keeping them safe?
Job Title: Learning Support Assistant
Salary Scale: £70-85 per day
Start Date: ASAP, April 2023
GSL – The SEN LSA opportunity in Barnstaple, focused 1:1 with children who all who have an EHCP for their Mental Health, ADHD, Autism. This is a good grounding for advocacy in general, giving you experience of the social situations and contexts that young, vulnerable children and adults are going through, while looking to complete their education.
The students you will be working 1:1 with, the majority will have been in specialist schools before joining the school. The school has a very specialised education, mix of female and male students, representing the faith, class, culture and ethnicities of Barnstaple, it’s very nuanced and interesting SEN LSA role.
The School offers a restorative, therapeutic approaches to education and behaviour management, they want their children engaged in key and personal skills, giving the children skills they can use in and out of school.
A big part of the role is building comfort with the students and trying to keep them on task and focused. This is one of the most challenging parts of the role, that is almost the point, building your relationship and finding what works for your students and class teachers.
What is involved:
* Providing assistance and supervision for students before, during and after lessons
*Raising the students’ attainment and social confidence at a critical time in their education
*Huge focus on key and personal skills
* Assisting students to understand and participate in set tasks in an appropriate way
* Assisting with note taking and supporting literacy and numeracy
* Restorative focus
* Encouraging the development of appropriate social skills
* To ensure accurate individual student records are maintained
* Helping to build confidence and motivation
* Participating in team meetings and training programmes as an active member of a team
* Working with managers and employees to support the developing culture of the organisation
* Following regulations pertaining to safeguarding
What is required:
* An Undergraduate Degree (preferable) and/or previous SEN experience, ideal for Youth and Community, Sociology, Psychology Graduates – also suitable for candidates with previous FE and SEN experience
*Working with and watching how mental health and Autism for eg, affects girls compared to boys, points often overlooked
* Good general education levels in English and Maths, 5 grade and above Is desired, especially with the learning focused on
*A Real focus on outside interest that diversify away from the core subjects, building key and personal skills – Sport, Cooking, Coding, Dance, Hair Dressing
Please be advised that this role requires a strong knowledge and understanding of safeguarding and child protection and that successful applicants must satisfy all background safer recruitment checks including an enhanced DBS on the update service.
For more information or to register your interest in Learning Support Assistant Barnstaple- SEN Learning Support Assistant role, or to be considered, please click ‘apply now’ to submit your full and up-to-date CV, and one of our dedicated consultants, will be in touch within 24 hours.