We are looking for someone motivated, who loves working outdoors to join our team and help with a variety of work such as the repair and maintenance of roads, footways and drainage, construction of vehicle crossings and minor traffic islands throughout the Borough.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
This is a manual role so you will need to be physically fit and comfortable being on your feet most of the day.
• Tarmacking, kerbing, paving and drainage repairs of local highways within the Borough.
• Installing street furniture
• Daily preparation of the vehicles and plant.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success.
Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team – work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency – show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious – be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading – maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
You will need to be happy working as part of a team and have good communication skills for when dealing with the public.
• Experience of carrying out manual work
• Have/ or be working towards a valid Street Works Qualification (NRSWA register) will be an advantage.
• You will also require technical knowledge of vehicles and various plants
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
• A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
• Generous holiday entitlement – 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays – rising to 32 days after 10 years’ service, with the option to buy additional leave
• A wide range of flexible working opportunities
• Modern working environment at Bennet Road, Reading
• Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
• Life Assurance – three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
• Dday nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
• Season Ticket Loan – a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
• Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact email@example.com
Closing Date: 3rd April 2023
Interview Date: TBC
Interview Process: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
About Disability Confident
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident.