How to Report a Change in Circumstances for Universal Credit

Keeping your Universal Credit claim up to date with any changes in your circumstances is crucial to ensure you receive the correct amount of financial assistance. This article will guide you on how to report these changes and what types of changes need to be reported.

Change of Address or Living Situation

  • Change of address
  • Rent or service charge changes

If your address or living situation changes, you must update your Universal Credit account with the new information. This includes changes in rent or service charges.

Employment Changes

  • Finishing a job
  • Finding a job
  • Change of job or work hours

If you start or finish a job or your work hours change, you will need to update your account with the details. You may also need to sign a new claimant commitment, depending on your circumstances.

Family and Household Changes

  • Having a child

If you have a child or there are changes in your family composition, report these changes on your account to ensure your Universal Credit payment is adjusted accordingly.

Health Condition or Disability

  • Health condition changes
  • Disability changes

You may need to update your Universal Credit account with any changes to your health condition or disability. If your health condition or disability improves or deteriorates, report these changes on your account.

You may be asked to provide further evidence or take another work capability assessment.

End of Life

If you have been advised that you may have 12 months or less to live, you must report this change through your Universal Credit account.

After reporting the change, you will receive further instructions on what to do next. Alternatively, you may ask someone else to report the change on your behalf.

In such cases, a doctor or medical professional should complete form DS1500 if you have been told that you may have six months or less to live.

If you have been informed that you may have 12 months or less to live, form SR1 should be completed instead.

Your medical professional will have access to the necessary forms, and either they or your representative may submit the completed forms to the appropriate address:


Department for Work and Pensions

Universal Credit Full Service

Self-employed Earnings

When receiving Universal Credit, it’s essential to report your income and expenses accurately at the end of each monthly assessment period.

This includes reporting any money earned from self-employment, pension contributions, and payments made into and out of your business.

To report your income and expenses, you must complete the ‘Report your income and expenses’ section in your online Universal Credit account.

This is also applicable to company directors, including those who pay themselves via PAYE.

Your Universal Credit payment will be calculated based on your reported earnings at the end of each assessment period.

If you’re considered ‘gainfully self-employed,’ your Universal Credit payment may be calculated using a minimum income floor, which assumes the minimum wage earned by employed individuals in similar circumstances.

Remember to report any changes in your circumstances, such as closing your business or starting a new one, to ensure that your Universal Credit payment is accurate and up-to-date.

By understanding and reporting the changes in your circumstances promptly, you can avoid overpayment or underpayment of your Universal Credit, ensuring you receive the appropriate financial support for your situation.

Content Updated 27/04/2023